Should You Get a Lawyer?

If the case you need help with was filed by “The State of Texas” in a municipal or state court or by the United States in a federal court and you face a fine or jail time, then the case is most likely a criminal case.  If you have come to this website for help with a criminal case, please download the brochure called "Defending Yourself in a Criminal Case: The Dangers of Being Your Own Lawyer, Even for a Misdemeanor".

If your case is a criminal case, it is especially important to have a lawyer to protect your rights.  The Sixth Amendment of the US Constitution gives you the right to be represented by a lawyer. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you have the right to a court-appointed lawyer if you are charged with a crime that could result in jail or prison time.

How to Find a Lawyer

There are several ways to find a lawyer:

  • Get a recommendation - Ask a trusted family member or friend for the name of a lawyer.
  • Search on TexasBar.com - If you have a computer, search for lawyers in your city.  Search the online attorney directory using your location and select “Criminal” in the Practice Area search box.
  •  Use a lawyer referral service - 
    • County or local lawyer referral services - Some counties have a lawyer referral service, where you call and describe the kind of case you have and get names of lawyers who handle that kind of case.  They may charge a small fee for this service. 
    • State Bar Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS) - The State Bar of Texas also has a lawyer referral service for areas of the State that do not have a county or local service.  The LRIS can be reached at 1-800-252-9690, www.texasbar.com.  For more information, please click on the link to the Lawyer Referral Information Service in the Resources section of this website. 
  •  Use the telephone book - Look under the Attorneys heading.

Nondisclosure Orders

If you have a criminal record, you may benefit from obtaining an order of nondisclosure.